Patzcuaro - Patzcuaro Michocan Mexico




Click for Uruapan Gen Rayon, Mexico Forecast
Click here for weather details

 




Patzcuaro (PAHTZ-kwah-roh) is a small colonial gem in the state of Michoacan, a land of immense natural beauty.
Michoacan's countryside is a vast expanse of rolling hills, deep lakes, winding rivers and green valleys.
Patzcuaro is found on hills above one of the lakes; Lake Patzcuaro.





Patzcuaro is a cultural and artisan center for the State of Michoacan, Mexico. The original name was "Tzacapu-ansucutinpatzcuaro" that is translated as "door to heaven" or "place where the blackness begins"
The beautiful central plaza remains a tribute to its namesake, Vasco de Quiroga moved the capital from Tzintzuntzan to the beautiful mountain city of Patzcuaro in 1533 and built a large basilica. He also founded the Colegio de San Nicolas Obispo in Patzcuaro.


Volcanic activity and the state's latitude position helps create a setting not unlike Hawaii. Rich soil supports lush jungle-like vegetation, with spectacular mountain landscapes, and velveteen pasturelands. The state has few large cities, but rather is a quilt of small villages and towns that have changed little since the early 1800's . Its pace is leisurely, its people friendly, and its Spanish colonial and indigenous heritage rich.

This historical mountain town is an easy 3 1/2 hour drivefrom the famous Pacific Ocean seaside resorts of Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa and Troncones. Many historical fountains adorn the city. A multitude of churches, plazas and shrines make this a truly great historical destination. Patzcuaro is famous for its sidewalk cafes and great restaurants. Small and large market places line the plazas and ancient side streets. Woven tablecloths, trays, carved and finely painted furniture, and gold laminated handwork are among the treasures to be found in this colonial setting.



(Click on map to enlarge)


PATZCUARO ARCHAEOLOGICAL & SIGHTSEEING LOCATION


Ihuatzio, Michoacan
(click on)

Following along Lake Patzcuaro you can find the Ihuatzio archaeological site, Tzintzuntzan, once the capital of the Purepecha empire and now a major handicraft center with vegetable fiber weaving and carved wood. It is also the site of a sixteenth century Franciscan convent.


Tingambato, Michoacan
(click on)

The name of this archological site comes from the Tarascan language and means "hill of temperate climate". To date only a small part of the site has been explored and surveyed. This site dates earlier than sites settled by the Tarascans or the Purepechas.
Nearby Quiroga is an active handicrafts center where products from nearly the entire state are sold. Santa Fe de La Laguna, a producer of clay, black earthenware and hand painted pots, candleholders and planters is a short distance down the road from Quiroga.
This archological site is located about 100 km from the city of Morelia . Tzintzutzan is one of the largest and most important excavation sites in the state of Michoacan. This was the capital city of the Tarascan Empire. This site was inhabited between 1200 and 1521 A.D.


Hit Counter
Total visits since OCT 25, 2002!

9,651,719
(Oct. 2011)
*Total combined visits
Zihuatanejo, Ixtapa, Troncones, Barra de Potosi & Patzcuaro Portals

Adelita street # 68 Col . La Madera Tel. (755) 5540153 email: webmaster@zip-creations.com
Copyright Zip Creations 10/13/2000© Zip Creations.